Whether you suffer from cracked heels, or love being in the sun, the summer season presents unique beauty challenges. When bathing suits and Daisy Duke’s have you feeling exposed, we’ve got you covered with these four DIY recipes that’ll help you handle all your summer beauty needs.
All-Natural DIY Summer Beauty Treatments
After Sun Cucumber Aloe Face Mask
From Curious Nut
We’ve all been there. You’re having too much fun in the sun, and forget to reapply to the SPF. Thankfully, this DIY face mask will help to soothe and save you from dry, irritated skin:
2 tbsp cucumber juice, extracted from juicing or blending
4 oz pure aloe vera gel, store-bought or extracted from an aloe plant
1. Put cucumber juice and aloe vera gel in blender and blend on high.
2. Pour into a small glass bottle, cover and refrigerate for 2-4 hours.
3. Scoop bubbles off the top of the mixture and discard.
To use: Apply a generous amount of mixture to your face. Leave on for 20 minutes, then gently rinse off. Mixture will keep for 3 months in the refrigerator.
Mojito Sugar Scrub
Recipe adapted from Mind Over Batter
Nothing says summer like a refreshing citrus cocktail. Inspired by the minty drink, this mojito sugar scrub is sure to get you beach-body ready by gently exfoliating skin:
1 cup Zulka (large granule) sugar
Zest of 3 limes
10-12 mint leaves, finely chopped
½ cup fractionated coconut oil
3-4 drops of lime oil, optional*
1-2 drops peppermint oil, optional**
- In a small bowl, combine the sugar and lime zest. Add the mint leaves and mix well.
- Add coconut oil, lime oil, and peppermint oil. Stir well to combine.
- Spoon or scoop into a glass jar.
To use: In the shower, scoop about 2 tablespoons of sugar scrub and gently massage the scrub over your body in a circular motion. Rinse your body thoroughly to remove any remnants of sugar.
*Do not expose the applied area(s) to the sun for 24 to 48 hours after application
**If you have broken, irritated, or sensitive skin, do not use
Foot Salve for Cracked Heels
Recipe adapted from Wellness Mama
¼ cup shea butter
¼ cup coconut oil
3 tbsp beeswax
¼ cup magnesium flakes + 2 tbsp boiling water
10 drops oregano essential oil (Do not use during pregnancy or on children)
- Pour 2 tablespoons of boiling water into the magnesium flakes in a small container and stir until dissolved. This will create a thick liquid. Set aside to cool.
- Set a quart-size Mason jar inside a small pan with 1 inch of water. Add the coconut oil, beeswax, and shea butter to the jar. Melt slowly over medium heat, stirring occasionally.
- When melted, remove the jar from the pan and let the mixture cool until room temperature and slightly opaque. At this point, put into a medium bowl or into a blender.
- If in a bowl, use a hand blender or immersion blender on medium speed and start blending the oil mixture.
- Slowly (starting with a drop at a time) add the dissolved magnesium mixture to the oil mixture while continuing to blend. Continue until all of the magnesium mix is added and it is well mixed.
- Add oregano essential oil and whip until combined.
- Place in the fridge for 15 minutes and re-blend to get body butter consistency.
- Store in fridge for best consistency (and a cooling lotion feel), or at room temperature for up to two months.
To Use: Apply the salve to cracked heels at night. For best results, soak and exfoliate feet first. Apply a thick coat of salve to dry feet, and wear socks to bed.
Homemade Facial Toner
Hot summer weather means more sweating, which can be problematic for acne-prone skin. This homemade toner is perfect for oily skin without the harsh ingredients found in many store-bought skincare products:
¾ cup green tea, steep with 1-2 tea bags
¼ cup raw apple cider vinegar
- Steep 1-2 tea bags in ¾ cup of hot water. Set aside and let cool.
- Pour the green tea and apple cider vinegar into a glass jar or glass spray bottle.
To use: Apply toner after cleansing using a cotton ball or pad. Let dry then apply moisturizer as usual. Store toner in the refrigerator for up to two weeks.
Whether you’re headed to the beach, the pool, or a night on the town, having smooth, soft skin head to toe is sure to make you feel more confident and comfortable. From exfoliating scrubs to moisturizing masks, these summer beauty DIYs have got you covered! With a few simple household ingredients, you’ll be feeling soft and smooth all summer long. What’s your go-to clean beauty DIY recipe?
SHOP THESE RECIPES