We can smell it in the air...it’s grilling season! Time to fire up the barbie. We’re big fans of a classic BBQ, but grilling doesn’t have to be all burgers and hot dogs. If you’re looking for healthy options to grill, these refreshing recipes are perfect for you! They feature summer-fresh ingredients you can enjoy all season. Bon Appétit!
Grilled Summer Squash with Feta
Recipe from What’s Gaby Cooking
Summer squash are super versatile. They’re great raw, cooked, and even better grilled! A homemade lemon vinaigrette and crumbles of feta amp up the mild flavor of this summer staple.
2 tbsp olive oil
½ tsp sea salt
½ tsp black pepper
2 medium zucchini, cut in half lengthwise
2 medium yellow squash, cut in half lengthwise
1 sheet of feta cheese
Lemon Champagne Vinaigrette:
1 lemon, juiced
2 tsp champagne vinegar
⅓ cup olive oil
sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- Preheat the grill over medium-high heat. Combine the first six ingredients in a bowl; toss well to coat. Arrange squash in a single layer on the grill and grill for 5 minutes, turning halfway through.
- Once grill marks appear on both sides and the squash is cooked, remove from grill and transfer to a serving platter. Crumble the sheet of feta on top, sprinkle with fresh mint and basil leaves and drizzle with the lemon champagne vinaigrette. Adjust salt and pepper as needed and serve immediately.
Grilled Spiced Cauliflower
Recipe from Serious Eats
For the Spice Mixture:
2 tsp kosher salt
2 tsp ground turmeric
1 tsp crushed red pepper
½ tsp ground cumin
½ tsp ground coriander
½ tsp powdered ginger
½ tsp garlic powder
½ tsp freshly ground black pepper
For the Cauliflower:
1 head of cauliflower, trimmed of green leaves and cut into 3/4-inch slices (see note)
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 tbsp finely chopped fresh cilantro leaves and tender stems
- Preheat the grill to medium-high heat.
- For the spice mixture: In a small bowl, mix together all of the ingredients.
- For the cauliflower: Brush all over with oil and season liberally with spice mixture.
- Place cauliflower on grill and cook, turning, until it is charred in spots on both sides, about 3 minutes per side. Move cauliflower to cool side of the grill, cover, and continue to cook until tender throughout, 10-15 minutes.
- Transfer cauliflower to a plate, sprinkle with cilantro, and serve.
Cajun Shrimp Kabobs
Recipe adapted from Dash of Savory
1 lb. large raw shrimp, peeled and deveined
1 lb. sea scallops
1 red onion, cut into 1½ -inch cubes
2 whole red bell peppers, seeded and cut into 1 1/2-inch squares
2 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp Cajun seasoning
green onion, chopped for garnish
Cajun Seasoning Recipe:
3 tbsp sweet paprika
1 tbsp cayenne pepper
2 tbsp sea salt
2 tbsp garlic powder
1 tbsp onion powder
1 tbsp dried oregano
1 tbsp dried basil
1 tsp dried thyme
1 tsp ground black pepper
- Preheat your grill to medium high heat.
- Soak your skewers for a minimum of 30 minutes in water.
- Thread your skewers alternating shrimp, sea scallops, red onion slices, and red bell pepper slices. Drizzle with olive oil and season with Cajun seasoning.
- Grill skewers over direct heat until shrimp and scallops are well seared on both sides, about 5 minutes per side.
- Transfer skewers to a serving platter and garnish with chopped green onions. Serve immediately and enjoy!
Let the summer grilling season begin! How do you give your BBQ recipes a healthy twist?