Recipe adapted fromChocolate Covered Katie
If carrot cake isn’t your thing, this vegan coconut cake is a great alternative! Soft and sweet with juicy pineapple, this is a nice tropical treat for breakfast or dessert.
1 cup spelt, white or gluten-free flour
¼ tsp cinnamon
1 tsp baking powder
½ tsp salt
½ tsp baking soda
2 tbsp ground flax seed
¼ cup + 2 tbsp sugar or xylitol
⅛ tsp stevia or ¼ cup sugar
2 ¼ tsp pure vanilla extract
1 cup (240 g) crushed pineapple, drained
½ cup full-fat canned coconut milk
1 cup Swerve Confectioners sugar
1 tbsp full-fat canned coconut milk, plus more if needed
chopped macadamia nuts or walnuts
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Combine all wet ingredients. In a separate bowl, combine dry and stir well. Mix dry into wet, but don’t overmix.
- Pour into a greased loaf pan, and cook for 35-38 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let cool for at least ten minutes. Use a knife or spatula to loosen sides of the cake and remove from the pan.
- To make coconut glaze, whisk together powdered sugar and coconut milk until smooth. Glaze should be the consistency of glue. If glaze is too thick, add more coconut milk, 1 teaspoon at a time. Drizzle glaze over cake and garnish with nuts and/or shredded coconut (optional).
- Makes 1 loaf. Serve immediately or store loosely covered in refrigerator.