Recipe adapted fromThe Fitchen
This dairy-free potato kale soup recipe is creamy, rich, and incredibly flavorful. Using simple ingredients and just one pot, this soup comes together in under an hour on the stovetop.
2 tbsp olive oil
1 medium yellow onion, diced
4 sprigs fresh thyme
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 tbsp white wine vinegar
2 – 15 oz. cans whole coconut milk, well-shaken
2 cups vegetable broth
4 cups red potatoes, cubed
1 tbsp sea salt, to taste
1 tbsp black pepper
2 cups kale
For Vegan Coconut Bacon (Optional):
1 cup coconut shreds
1 tbsp tamari or soy sauce
1 tbsp maple syrup
½ tsp black pepper
½ tsp paprika
- In a large pot, heat 2 Tablespoons of olive oil to medium low. Add onion and thyme. Sauté for 5 minutes until onion is softened. Add garlic and sauté 3 minutes.
- Add white wine vinegar and stir quickly to deglaze the pot.
- Add coconut milk, vegetable broth, potatoes, salt, and pepper. Bring to a boil and cook 5 minutes.
- Decrease heat to simmer and cover. Simmer for 20 minutes. Scoop out 2 cups of the soup from the pot and add to a blender. Give it a quick pulse, then pour back into the pot. Add kale and stir to combine. Cover and cook 5 minutes until kale is tender and wilted.
- Serve it up with warm baguette, crispy coconut bacon, fresh herbs, or whatever you fancy – then enjoy!
Directions for Vegan Coconut Bacon
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Combine tamari/soy sauce, maple syrup, pepper, and paprika in a small mason jar and shake well to combine (or whisk together in a bowl).
- Add coconut shreds to a ziplock bag and pour in the liquid mixture. Shake well to fully coat. Spread the shreds onto the baking sheet and place in the oven. Bake for 15-20 minutes, tossing every 5 minutes, then remove from oven. Shreds will crisp as they cool.