Dear wheat, we’re breaking up with you. Why? Because you can create absolutely delicious low carb and keto bread using grain-free flours. Ingredients like psyllium husk, almond flour, and coconut flour are low-carb alternatives you can use to bake buns, loaves, and even cookies (mmm!). But since we’re talking about sandwiches, let’s focus on baking buns with one of our favorite ingredients — psyllium husk.
Psyllium husk is a seed that’s ground into a fine powder and can be added to smoothies, baking, and more. It provides fiber and helps to thicken food. It’s perfect for keto-friendly baking since it’s low carb, high fiber, and provides a similar texture to whole wheat.
Keto buns look and taste similar to regular buns, so use them for pulled pork, egg salad, deli meats, or any topping you like! Try this easy Keto Bun recipe from Sugar Free Londoner:
Keto Buns (Low-Carb & Paleo-friendly)
3 egg whites, room temperature
1 egg, room temperature
1/4 cup boiling hot water
1/4 cup almond flour
1/4 cup coconut flour
1 tbsp psyllium husk powder
1 tsp baking powder
sesame seeds, for sprinkling (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Mix your dry ingredients. Then put all ingredients into a food processor or mix with an electric blender until smooth, about 20 seconds. Don't over-mix the dough.
- Let the dough sit for a couple of minutes so the flours can absorb the moisture.
- Separate the dough into 4 equal portions and form buns.
- Place the buns on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Sprinkle with sesame seeds if using. Make a criss-cross cut on the top and bake for around 25 minutes or until browned.