Eat Bread and Stay Keto Too? The Best Keto Bread Recipes
If you're following the wildly popular low-carb ketogenic (keto) diet, smelling freshly baked bread straight out of the oven, and watching someone slather it with butter just might be the worst form of torture. But, just because you're eating low-carb doesn't mean you can't enjoy bread! We've collected four of our favorite keto recipes for low-carb bread so you don't have to miss out on avocado toast anymore!
Recipe fromWholesome Yum
This fluffy white paleo bread is quick and easy with just five ingredients!
Carb count: 1 g net carbs per serving (½” thick slice)
1 cup blanched almond flour
1/4 cup coconut flour
2 tsp gluten-free baking powder
1/4 tsp sea salt
⅓ cup butter, measured solid, then melted
12 large egg whites (1 ½ cups), room temperature
- Preheat the oven to 325°F. Line an 8 ½” x 4 ½” loaf pan with parchment paper, with extra hanging over the sides for easy removal later.
- Combine the almond flour, coconut flour, baking powder, and sea salt in a large food processor. Pulse until combined.
- Add the melted butter. Pulse, scraping down the sides as needed, until crumbly.
- In a large bowl, use a hand mixer to beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form.
- Add half of the egg whites to the food processor. Pulse a few times until just combined. Do not over-mix.
- Carefully transfer the mixture from the food processor into the bowl with the egg whites, and gently fold until no streaks remain. Do not stir. Fold gently to keep the mixture as fluffy as possible.
- Transfer the batter to the lined loaf pan and smooth the top. Push the batter toward the center a bit to round the top.
- Bake for about 40 minutes, until the top is golden brown. Tent the top with aluminum foil and bake for another 30-45 minutes, until the top is firm and does not make a squishy sound when pressed.
- Cool completely before removing from the pan and slicing.
Delight your taste buds with these cheesy breadsticks that are keto-friendly, low-carb, and gluten-free.
Carb count:5.4 g net carbs per serving (2 pieces)
For the dough:
1 ½ cups part-skim, low-moisture shredded mozzarella cheese
1 oz cream cheese
½ cup almond flour
3 tbsp coconut flour
1 large egg
½ cup part-skim, low-moisture shredded mozzarella cheese
⅓ cup shredded parmesan cheese
1 tsp finely chopped parsley
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Add mozzarella and cream cheese to a large microwave-safe bowl. Melt in the microwave at full power in 30-second intervals. After each 30 seconds, stir cheese until completely melted.
- Add cheese ball to a food processor with dough blade attachment. Add in almond flour, coconut flour, and egg. Pulse on high speed until the dough is uniform. The dough will be quite sticky.
- Allow the dough to cool slightly, then roll out between two sheets of parchment paper until ¼ inch thick. Peel top sheet of parchment paper off of dough. Move the dough (still on the bottom parchment paper) onto a baking sheet.
- Spread ¼ cup of mozzarella cheese over the dough, leaving a ½ inch perimeter. Bake for about 5-6 minutes, or until edges of the dough are golden and puffy.
- Evenly sprinkle the surface of dough with remaining mozzarella cheese and parmesan cheese, leaving a 1/2 inch perimeter. Bake for another 3-5 minutes or until cheese is melted. Garnish with parsley before serving.
Recipe fromReal Balanced
If you ever crave a soft, flaky dinner roll, this will easily become your new favorite recipe! Not only is it low-carb and keto-friendly, but it’s paleo and vegan, too!
Carb count:3.3 g net carbs per roll
3 tbsp ground flax seeds
½ cup + 1 tbsp water
Bread Roll Dough:
1 ¼ cup almond flour
⅓ cup ground flax seeds
½ cup psyllium husk powder
1 tsp salt
2 ½ tsp baking soda
1 ¼ tsp cream of tartar
1 ¼ cup water
2 tsp sesame seeds
- Preheat oven to 375°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- For the flax egg, add flax seeds and water to a small bowl, and whisk together. Allow to soak for 5 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, add dry ingredients and whisk together until fully incorporated. Add flax egg and mix with an electric mixer until well-combined.
- In a small pot, bring water to boil.
- With the electric mixer turned on, slowly pour boiling water over dough mixture. Mix until all ingredients are combined. Let dough rest for 5 minutes.
- Form dough into six equal rolls.
- Optional: Add a small amount of water to a shallow dish. In another shallow dish, add the sesame seeds. Dip rolls one-by-one in water then sesame seeds to coat the top.
- Place rolls on prepared baking dish and bake for 50 minutes. Turn oven off and crack oven door. Allow rolls to sit inside cooling oven for 10 additional minutes. Remove rolls from oven and cool before serving.
Low Carb Garlic Naan Bread
This versatile low-carb naan bread can be used for wraps, homemade pizza, with spreads, on its own, or enjoyed with homemade butter chicken.
Carb count: 6 g net carbs, 3 naan per serving
½ cup coconut flour
1 ½ tbsp psyllium husk powder
2 tbsp coconut oil
¼ tsp baking powder
1-1 ½ cups hot water
1 tbsp minced garlic
¼ tsp pink Himalayan salt
- Combine the coconut flour, psyllium husk powder, baking powder, salt, and coconut oil. Add the minced garlic to the mixture.
- Add 1 cup of hot water to start and combine. Add more hot water if needed. If the consistency is too wet, add more psyllium husk powder.
- Knead with your hands for a minute and let dough sit in a bowl for 15 minutes.
- Pull apart the dough into as big or as little balls as you'd like and roll out using some parchment paper and a rolling pin.
- Heat a skillet to medium heat, and add a naan. Flip after a couple minutes, and cook until browned on both sides. Tip: If the naan starts to puff up, you know it’s done.
- Complete until all naans are cooked, and enjoy!
Whether you’re just beginning to eat low-carb, or are a seasoned keto dieter, these delicious keto-approved breads are sure to please!
Leave a comment
Also in A Wealth of Wellness