Recipe from Minimalist Baker
Cozy breakfast hash made with just 10 simple ingredients. Crispy Brussels Sprouts, sweet potatoes, onions, and garlic marry perfectly with a runny egg. Options for vegans and vegetarians included!
FOR SWEET POTATO & BRUSSELS:
1 medium-large sweet potato, chopped into bite-size pieces (skin on)
3 cups Brussels sprouts, quartered or halved
1 tbsp avocado oil
1 pinch each sea salt and black pepper
FOR THE REST:
2 tsp avocado oil
½ medium onion, finely chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
¾ cup Fuji apple, finely diced
1 tbsp fresh minced sage
2 tbsp dried currants or cranberry (optional)
1 cup spicy chicken or pork sausage (or sub vegan sausage)
2 heaping cups fresh spinach
4 large eggs (optional)
FOR SERVING (optional):
- Preheat oven to 400°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Add sweet potato and Brussels sprouts to the baking sheet. Drizzle with oil, season with salt and pepper, and toss to coat. Bake for 22-28 minutes or until tender and golden brown. Toss at the halfway point to ensure even cooking.
- In the meantime, heat a large skillet over medium heat. Once hot, add oil and onion. Sauté for 1 minute, then add garlic, apple, sage, and dried fruit (optional). Sauté for 3 minutes — or until slightly golden brown and fragrant — stirring occasionally.
- Add sausage or veggie sausage of choice (optional) and sauté until golden brown and cooked through — about 5-8 minutes. Stir frequently and use a spoon to break the sausage into small, bite-size pieces.
- Once sausage is cooked, add spinach, cover, and cook for a few minutes until wilted. Stir in roasted Brussels sprouts and sweet potato. Turn off heat and set aside until serving.
- Heat a separate skillet over medium heat. Once hot, add a little oil, if needed, and desired number of eggs. To cook egg, crack in pan, cook for 3 minutes uncovered, then cover with a lid in the last 1-2 minutes to help the whites cook while keeping the yolks soft. Alternatively, scramble or cook to desired doneness.
- Enjoy hash as is, or garnish with fresh parsley and hot sauce (optional).
- Store cooled leftovers covered in the refrigerator for 3-4 days or in the freezer up to 1 month. Reheat on the stovetop or in the microwave until hot.