From colorful coleslaw to classic potato salad, these sides are perfect for summer cookouts and super-simple family dinners. Featuring fresh, flavorful, in-season produce, you’ll look forward to barbecuing even more!
Herbed Potato Salad
Recipe from Cookie and Kate
The perfect potluck summer side, this herbed potato salad puts a healthy twist on the classic mayonnaise-drenched potato salad. It’s vegan, egg-, dairy-, and gluten-free, so it’s sure to keep everyone happy!
2 lbs small red potatoes, sliced into ¼-inch thick rounds
1 tbsp fine sea salt
¼ cup olive oil
⅓ cup fresh, flat-leaf parsley, roughly chopped
⅓ cup roughly chopped green onions
2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
2 tsp Dijon mustard
2 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
3 stalks celery, chopped
Fresh ground black pepper, to taste
2 tbsp parsley, chopped
2 tbsp green onion, chopped
- In a large saucepan, combine sliced potatoes and salt, and cover with one inch of water. Bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce to medium-low and cook until potatoes are soft, about 5 to 6 minutes.
- Reserve ¼ cup cooking water, then drain. Transfer the potatoes to a large mixing bowl.
- In a small food processor or blender, combine the olive oil, parsley, green onions, lemon juice, Dijon mustard, garlic and black pepper. Process until the herbs and garlic have been finely chopped. Then, while running the food processor, pour in the reserved cooking water and process just until blended.
- Drizzle the potatoes with the herbed olive oil mixture and gently mix to combine. Let the potatoes rest for ten minutes, gently tossing every few minutes.
- Add the celery to the bowl, along with 2 tbsp each of chopped parsley and green onions. Toss again. Season generously to taste with salt and pepper.
- Serve immediately, or cover and refrigerate until you’re ready to serve. This salad is best served within a few hours, but will keep in the refrigerator for about three days.
Black Bean & Corn Salad
Recipe from Dinner at the Zoo
This easy salad has a fresh mix of black beans, corn, peppers, and avocado, making it the perfect side dish for anything off the grill!
2 cans black beans, drained and rinsed
1 ½ cups corn kernels fresh, frozen or canned
1/4 cup red onion, minced
1 red bell pepper, diced
1 avocado, peeled and diced
1 jalapeño, seeded and minced
⅓ cup cilantro leaves, chopped
⅓ cup olive oil
¼ cup lime juice
2 tsp honey
1 tsp chili powder
1 tsp cumin
Salt and pepper to taste
- Place the black beans, corn, red onion, red bell pepper, avocado, and jalapeño in a large bowl.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the cilantro, olive oil, lime juice, honey, chili powder, cumin, and salt and pepper.
- Pour the dressing over the beans and vegetables, tossing gently to coat. Serve.
Recipe from Ambitious Kitchen
A simple, fresh coleslaw perfect for pairing with your favorite grilling recipes all summer.
For the slaw:
1 medium head of purple cabbage, shredded
2 heaping cups shredded carrots
¾ cup finely chopped cilantro
1 jalapeño, seeded and finely diced
½ cup diced scallions
½ cup toasted sliced almonds (or use pre-chopped roasted almonds)
¼ cup roasted sunflower seeds or pepitas
For the dressing:
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil (or sesame oil)
2-3 tbsp apple cider vinegar or red wine vinegar
2 tbsp pure maple syrup
1 clove garlic, minced
¼ tsp cayenne pepper
½ tsp salt, to taste
Fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- Add all the ingredients for the slaw except for the almonds and sunflower seeds to a large bowl.
- In a small bowl, whisk together all the ingredients for the dressing. Cover the slaw and toss well to combine. Taste and adjust seasonings as necessary. Cover and place in fridge for at least an hour to allow flavors to marinate together.
- Before serving, sprinkle with toasted sliced almonds and sunflower seeds or pepitas; toss again and serve. Perfect on sandwiches, pulled pork or chicken, tacos, or just as a healthy side!
It’s super easy to incorporate fresh produce for the whole family to enjoy in these summer sides! For more simple and savory summer recipes, check out our best BBQ recipes.