Recipe fromThe Paleo Running Momma
This Paleo Breakfast Casserole is loaded with so many goodies and is so easy to make! Roasted sweet potatoes form the "crust" and are topped with crispy bacon, roasted Brussels sprouts, caramelized onions, and baked with eggs. Whole30 friendly!
12 slices bacon
2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and sliced into 1/4" rounds
1 tbsp coconut oil, melted
3 cups Brussels sprouts, tops removed and quartered or chopped
1 large onion, thinly sliced
⅓ cup full-fat coconut milk
½ tsp sea salt
¼ cup nutritional yeast
½ tsp garlic powder
Black pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 425°F and grease a 9”x13" casserole dish with coconut oil, and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Cut the bacon into 1" pieces and cook in a large skillet, over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally until crisp. Remove with a slotted spoon to drain on paper towels and set aside. Reserve at least 3-4 tbsp of bacon fat to caramelize onions.
- Next, roast the sweet potatoes and Brussels sprouts. Toss the sweet potato rounds with oil and sea salt to taste and arrange overlapping in casserole dish. Arrange the Brussels sprouts on the parchment-lined baking sheet in a single layer. Place the casserole dish and baking sheet in your oven to roast. The sweet potatoes will roast for about 30 minutes until soft and the Brussels sprouts for about 20.
- Meanwhile, caramelize the onions. Heat the pan you cooked your bacon in over low/medium heat and add the onions, tossing with the leftover reserved bacon fat.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, lowering the heat if any onions begin to brown too quickly. Cook the onions long and slow (about 25 minutes). Once the onions are deeply caramelized and very soft, remove from heat.
- While the onions cook, whisk together the eggs, coconut milk, nutritional yeast, salt, pepper, and garlic powder.
- Lower heat to 400°F, then assemble the casserole. Layer Brussels sprouts over the sweet potato. Remove the caramelized onions with a slotted spoon and layer over the Brussels sprouts, follow with the cooked bacon. Finally, pour the whisked egg mixture over the casserole.
- Bake in the 400°F oven for 25 minutes, or until the center is set and edges begin to turn light brown. Allow to cool in the baking dish before serving warm. Leftovers can be stored in the fridge for up to 5 days. Enjoy!