Recipe from The Endless Meal
This delicious black rice salad is made with black forbidden rice, sweet mangoes, oranges and crunchy cashews. It's as pretty as it is easy to make!
¼ fresh lime, juiced
2 tablespoons neutral flavored oil
1 tablespoon fish sauce
2 cups black rice
2 ripe mangoes, peeled, pitted and cut into ½” dice
1 cup cilantro leaves
1 cup finely chopped red onion
¾ cup toasted chopped cashews
6 green onions, thinly sliced
2 jalapeños, seeded and finely minced
- Cook the black rice according to package directions. Set aside for, covered, for 15 minutes once cooking is complete.
- Cut the tops and bottoms off each orange then cut the skin off of each, making sure there is no white pith. Working over a bowl to catch the juices, use a small sharp knife to cut between each membrane to release the orange segments. Once all orange segments have been removed, squeeze the juice from the membrane. Cut the orange segments in half and set aside.
- Strain the orange juice into a small bowl. Add the lime juice, oil and fish sauce and whisk. Set aside.
- Spread cooked rice out on a rimmed baking sheet, drizzle with dressing and season generously with salt. Mix well and set aside to cool.
- Place all other ingredients in a large bowl. Add rice and toss gently to combine. Season with more salt and lime juice if desired.
Picnic Tip: Stainless steel food containers are the perfect picnic accessory! Eco-friendly and plastic-free, reusable food storage containers are great for packing salads and snacks for all your picnic adventures. Check out these Stainless Steel Food Storage Containers - Set of 4 available on Amazon.