Recipe from The Last Food Blog
A jam-packed breakfast skillet with veggies, crispy potatoes, and eggs. You can make this gluten-free and vegetarian recipe vegan-friendly by omitting the eggs.
450 g potatoes, scrubbed, skin on and cut into 2cm cubes
3 tbsp olive oil, divided
½ tsp sea salt, divided
½ tsp cracked black pepper, divided
1 small onion, thinly sliced
1 medium green bell pepper, thinly sliced
1 medium red bell pepper, thinly sliced
3 large portobello mushrooms, sliced
1 tsp dried oregano
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1/4 tsp dried red chilli flakes (optional)
90 g spinach
4 large eggs
2 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
A small handful fresh flat leaf parsley, chopped
2 spring onions, chopped
Dried red chilli flakes
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Place the potatoes on a baking tray, drizzled with 2 tablespoons of oil and 1/4 teaspoon each of salt and black pepper. Toss well then bake in the oven for 30 minutes, turning the potatoes halfway through cooking.
- While the potatoes are roasting, cook up the veggies. Heat the remaining oil in a skillet, add the onion and cook over a medium heat until soft, about 10 minutes.
- Add the peppers and cook for 5 minutes. Once the peppers are a little soft add the mushrooms, garlic, oregano, salt, pepper and chilli flakes. Cook for another 5 minutes.
- Add the spinach, then lemon juice and stir well.
- Once the potatoes are cooked transfer them to the skillet and stir well. Check the seasoning now and add more if necessary.
- Make 4 little wells in the skillet, break one egg into each well. Place a lid over the skillet, to cook your eggs faster. Once the eggs are cooked to your own liking, turn off the heat.
- Sprinkle over parsley and chopped spring onion and serve. Serve with lemon wedges and more red chilli flakes (optional).
If breakfast doesn’t excite you, it’s time to shake things up! Try one of these new breakfast ideas to spark your creativity and please your palette. We guarantee you’ll be looking forward to your morning meal when you try one of these new recipes. What’s your favorite morning meal that puts a pep in your step? Let us know in the comments below!