Recipe by Happy Healthy Mama
This quinoa vegetable stew is the ultimate healthy comfort food! Vegan, gluten-free, and full of nourishing vegetables, it’s hearty and filling.
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 yellow onion, chopped
2 carrots, chopped
2 stalks celery, chopped
2 medium potatoes (sweet, white, or red all work), cubed
1 ½ tsp oregano
1 tsp marjoram
1 ½ tsp salt, divided
¼ tsp freshly ground black pepper
8 cups vegetable broth
3 cups greens, such as kale or baby spinach, chopped
1 cup quinoa, rinsed
2–3 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- Heat the olive oil in a large stockpot or dutch oven. Add the onion, carrots, celery, and half a teaspoon of salt, and cook over medium heat for 5 minutes.
- Add the potatoes, oregano, marjoram, the rest of the salt, pepper, and broth. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. Allow to simmer about 15 minutes.
- Add the quinoa and allow to simmer another 15-20 minutes.
- Optional: Take 2-3 cups of the stew and transfer it to a blender. Blend and then return the blended mixture back to the pot.
- Add the chopped greens and lemon juice and cook until the greens are wilted (about 5 more minutes). Taste and add more salt and pepper, if desired. Enjoy!
Warm stews are so convenient to make using a slow cooker, you’re guaranteed to have a hearty meal every night of the week! Thick stews are best enjoyed with warm, crusty bread, so make sure to pair with our best Keto Bread recipes. Do you like your stew with hot homemade bread or a few crunchy crackers?